After class I roamed around the city with a few friends from my program and then I went home to meet Ida to run some errands. We got my Danish health care card which means that now that I'm here, I get free health care, too! Then we bought school supplies, etc. Later, we went to the mall and I bought a pair of high (maybe too high?) heels that I never would have picked out in my entire life. Ida can shop, though, and she had fun picking shoes out for me to try on. I have to say, these now top my Tier One steel-toed shoes for my most expensive pair. But I guess how often do you get to pick up a pair of heels in Copenhagen? After we went shopping, Ida and I went to their community pool so we could swim. It is this whole complex with a diving well, play area in warmer water for small children, hot tubs and a rock climbing wall up the side built so that if you fall off, it will be into the water. The lap pool, however, was different than anything I'd ever seen before - it was shaped in a circle like an indoor track! If you followed the line in the middle, it was 100m around. The whole thing was very cool, but kind of hard to swim in. Alright, I'm tired and I have my first real day of classes tomorrow (I already had reading to do...). More another day!
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Swimming and Shopping
Today was a busy day in Copenhagen for me. I took the train to class where we talked about our Practicum sites for my core class, Children with Special Needs. The Practicum site is the classroom that I will be working in throughout the semester. I am very excited because I was placed in a special school that is basically a therapy house for disabled people aged 16-25. The house has all different sensory rooms that are focused on helping various physical and mental disabilities. I am in the school for 50 hours this semester so it should be an amazing learning experience. Today we were told all about what to expect when we get to our sites and also some of the major differences in Danish child care. The class was very interesting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment