I promise I will post pictures soon - I just need to figure out how to put them in the blog. My words don't do the beauty of this place any justice at all. I can't believe I've only been here a week - I feel like I've experienced so many new things already. I am excited to see how the rest of the semester unfolds!
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Kronborg Castle
Today I went on a DIS trip to the Krongborg Castle in Helsingor. This is the castle where Shakespeare set the play Hamlet! It was a very impressive castle from the outside and the grounds were absolutely gorgeous. The coolest part of the trip, though, were the tunnels beneath the castle where they kept criminals and military prisoners. There were statues of old Nordic gods in the tunnels and the whole thing was lit only by (fake) candles so our tour guide had a flashlight to show us where to go! It was very creepy - it would be the perfect place to have a haunted house during Halloween. Also, the town of Helsingor was absolutely adorable. There were many shops and restaurants lining the streets and hanging above the streets were strings and strings of Danish flags. Two of the girls I was traveling with and I had a traditional Danish lunch of smorrebrod (that is not how you spell it, the os need to have slashes through them and make the low "u" sound) which is an open sandwich. I had roast pork with red cabbage on rye bread. It was delicious. Surprise, surprise, I haven't found a food I don't like here yet. Tonight I even tried liver pate with my host family and I really enjoyed it! Anyways, while we were walking around Helsingor, one restaurant had a quartet playing in front of it, so we just stood and listened for a while and to our surprise, the restaurant started serving us white wine and bruschetta. So we sat in this little alleyway, listening to this quartet, drinking wine and looking at this amazing castle. We had gorgeous weather, too. I felt like I was in a fairy tale!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment