We had our first day of orientation today and it started with an opening ceremony. It was at the Royal Library in Denmark, which is about the equivalent of the Library of Congress. The part we were in is called the Black Diamond and is a very modern addition they just put on to this building that stood there for hundreds of years. It started out with a Wind Quintet and before they started playing, the walls of the hall changed so that there would be better acoustics! Bars that covered the walls slid back into other parts of the wall in order to change the surface.
The day was mostly speeches and informational seminars about this that and the other thing. It made me very excited for the rest of the semester!
Last night, I ate with my host mom and my older sister Rikki came home from her apartment to have dinner with us. Ida was still sick and Jesper had to work at night. We sat around the table for almost three hours just talking! Rikki is a great storyteller and she and her mom told me a lot about the culture and the history of Denmark. Tonight I had dinner with my host dad and my younger host sister Ida. Tonight's dinner was even over an hour and a half. Ida makes me feel like I am still at Tufts because since I have been sitting watching TV with her, we have watched parts of the Hills, Australia's Next Top Model and House. She knows all the American celebrity gossip better than I do.. maybe I will learn some, haha. She is really wonderful to talk to about all sorts of things. She explained her school to me and she was telling me about some of her friends, etc. I feel like I am really starting to know the family and they are really great. Tonight, my host mom was out playing golf for her club. Her team won the semi-finals in the Copenhagen tournament! If they win their next match, which is regional, they will go to the final tournament for the whole country!
The weather has been beautiful, believe it or not. I have joked with my host family that all the rain went to my country last weekend with the hurricane and there is none left! I hope better weather finds you across the "big water!" And happy 22nd birthday, Dave!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment