Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Stockholm, Sweden

So we took the ferry to Stockholm, Sweden and it was one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been to.  Although it was kind of cold, the sun was out and we got to enjoy a few beautiful days.  Stockholm looked so cool, too, because the buildings were so neat and they all looked different. Also, the leaves were changing color! It reminded me of home.. I'm so glad I get to see the change of seasons here, too. Anyways, we went and saw a really cool school called the Stella Nova school based on a certain educational theory and also go to an Autism center where they train caregivers to treat children with ABA therapy.  Both visits were really beneficial and I learned a lot.  We also got to spend some time on our own in the city and do a scavenger hunt to learn about the history, etc. My friends and I went to an Irish pub while we were in Stockholm one night and also ate at more really cozy cafes.  Also, on Thursday night, we went to the Stockholm Opera to see the Barber of Seville! It was interesting because the opera was in Italian and the little subtitle were in Swedish... so I had to rely on what I remember from Spanish to try and figure out what was going on. Those of you who have ever helped me with Spanish homework know about how successful I was... thank God for the notes in the playbill. 

This is the palace! It seems like all European palaces have these guards that won't smile at you...
This is the great group of girls I got to spend the week with. We had so much fun together! It is neat because we are all really different and from all different parts of the US (from Oregon to NYC to Tennessee to Arizona!) and go to school in spread out places, too. This is on the side of one of the main canals in the city. 
This was the national Art Museum next.. it's next to a canal, like most things here, hah.
The city's buildings were all so different! It was really cool to see all the different types of buildings along the streets. They are all so detailed!

This is the Wasa (pronounced Vasa) warship that was resurrected from the bottom of a canal and preserved. They built a museum around it once it was completed. It is so awesome, pictures don't do it justice. 
So pretty, and so what you would think of when you think Sweden. 
The subway system in Stockholm is called the T! and the lines are named by colors! I was so happy, it felt like home :)
Beautiful changing leaves in the fall! This was taken from the T. 
This is a 1000 year old viking rune.. on the side of a wall of a building on a walking street. There is no sign, no explanation, no glass.. I touched it. It's crazy. That is 3 times as old as the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment